Friday, March 9, 2012

Maybe its just me...

but I'm pretty sure I lied when I said "March blogging starts Monday"

but anyway...

Maybe it's just me, but being critical is one of my most consistent personality traits.
I'm not saying that's always a good thing. It can certainly tear people and their ideas down. It makes me seem picky, or that I don't like anything.
But. I think a healthy amount of criticism keeps us on our toes. If we are critically engaged in what we're reading, watching, saying, hearing and doing- we're at aware. We are holding others to awareness. We are then responsible for what we say and do, because we're so much more than mindless. But like anything true in life, it's a dance. There has to be give and take, somethings we examine and tear apart- other things we gently dismantle... but we deconstruct things if they're not true. If we're dancing with someone and they're doing it all wrong and stepping on your feet [her name is liz brice.] you correct them, right?

Friends, I love activism. I love a well done social media campaign that engages youth. I love when American kids start talking about other people's problems [but not in a high school cafeteria way.]

All of that brings me to KONY 2012. 

It was so well done, Jason's son is the cutest, and Invisible Children is just so great!
Why am I being critical of Kony 2012?
I've got a few reasons that are stupid.
 it's too shiny and polished and popular. [hello, that's stupid. you want awareness- you'd like something to be  popular.], it over simplified a really huge foreign policy issue, that whole bracelet business just seems silly.
I've got at least one reason that is less stupid.
it's my opinion [as an entitled white American who has been told she's entitled to an opinion.] that military involvement may not be the way to solve this. Of course, I don't know what is. Just the idea of fighting guns with more guns makes me sick. [not to mention US defense spending is through the roof. but that's another conversation.]
...but i'm not the expert. 
The guys over at Invisible Children have big hearts for Africa. I really think they are in this for the right reasons. And if we're being honest, they're freaking social media geniuses.

I didn't think before I re posted the Kony 2012 video. I didn't listen to what other people in the conversation had to say. I had a fairly critical conversation with myself (not out loud, relax) about the film, but didn't want to seem like a heartless jerk to my friends.

But this is a safe space. So here's what I've been reading. Just think for yourself. 

the original KONY 2012 video
one of the most talked about responses (this blogger also does a really terrific job of posting scholarly research on the issue.)
Read "We Got Trouble" first, then "Not Alone" -Visible Children
IC's response- Critiques


What do you think? What have you heard about it? Join the conversation.
According to Jason, the "Revolution has already begun!"

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you LB. I thought I was the only one being a biotch by not changing my profile picture and reblogging the video a million times. Not to mention how many messages I got from pissy people when I reblogged visible children's posts with comments on my tumblr. Good Lord! I feel like I need to wear a shirt that says "I don't hate little African children, I swear!"

    ReplyDelete