Thursday, February 9, 2012

Febulous in the most unlikely places...

Working from home today. Which is great for so many reasons [most all of those reasons involve me in sweat pants drinking coffee] seriously, hook yourself up with an internship that can give you work-from-home-days. I'm lucky my apartment is so small because my commute is under 60 seconds on such days- I wake up and I can lunge to my computer [I don't, but it's nice to know that I could.]

that's what we call a tangent..
...let's get down to all that classy/fabulousness [remember that thinly veiled new year's resolution?]


I'm going to let you in on one of the best  parts of being a commuter/working stiff, The Midway Park Saver.
That's what the sign looks like when I leave work [except it's been lighter the past few weeks] and I don't have an AM picture [it's the same sign, but the sun is there, duh.]

The Midway Park Saver, to the uninitiated looks like a run down, roach motel of parking lots. In fact, it is a bit run down, but it's got hella character and I haven't seen a cockroach yet. This narrow lot is about two blocks long and is really cheap. The staff is so friendly and there is a wee little shuttle bus to wisk you up to the front of the lot on cold January/fabulous February [FEBulous] mornings. I love this parking lot.


My internship is great and everything, but I really look forward to checking out at the Midway Parksaver.
I look forward to giving the kind old man in that booth my $6.45, and him kindly sending me on my way. Yes, the cheaper chicken that I am- I look forward to giving someone else my money.  Maybe i'm naive, maybe my internship makes me miserable, maybe they're pumping mood-altering drugs into my car while I'm working, maybe I'm just weird.
I'm serious. I love the Midway Park Saver. I think it's a joint operation between the Polish and Irish mafia [basically there's about a dozen old white men who are so full of perogies and mashed potatoes that they are pastier than me and probably have type two diabetes], it's like a glue factory for old bookies [no idea what means.]. These guys aren't taking their parking lot gig too seriously, and they kind of remind me of the pictures I've seen from my Grandpa's graduation from the Police Academy. They're real happy, real nice and drive a shuttle bus faster than is legal in the continental US. They're so nice that once I lost my parking ticket, and the man didn't charge me the usual $50 fine [get real] because I started crying and he said, "don't do this to me, I have three daughters." That's real life. That's old school. That's Chicago. That's my favorite. [I also wasn't supposed to tell anyone that story... so you didn't hear it from me.- see what I mean bout the mafia?!]

...so that's what makes me FEBulous lately. 




also! check it out- I'M PUBLISHED. [i'm the intern. this is pretty cool.] http://www.chicagohomeless.org/speakers-bureau-mobilizes-students-at-tilden/

No comments:

Post a Comment