Thursday, December 1, 2011

no more No Shame November...
[shameless sans aliteration.]



A sincere thanks to one of my dearest friends, Kathleen Leahy for this inspiration for the month. [Entirely Glass, or Windowless] and our friend Kelli Schmitz [alis volat propriis] for adding her voice to the November conversation.I loved writing No Shame November, and I heard a few people liked reading it. I guess that means I'm going to give this weird blogging thing a go. But I'll need themes. and alliteration...

December is going to be a doosey [no, that's the not the theme.] I'm doing DIY December and I plan to chronicle my foray into DIY all natural beauty products. [i'm a lil' crunchy hippie sometimes.]

two main focuses this month:
1. switching from 235394870357234 face products [real talk: i'm crazy.] toonly two.
2. switching from commercial shampoos to a DIY baking soda mixture [oh it's gonna get real greasy up in here.]

photo quality is less than poor. i'm new at this, relax.


1. Basically my skin has been a hot nasty volcanic mess as of late. I tried all my usual tricks [putting tooth paste on them before bed, classy.] and I still was feeling like I needed to be on the "before" section of a Proactiv commerical. It's time for a change. When I found this great idea on the pinterest, I was in. Honey face wash, here I come. [let the honey puns commence.] The idea for honey face wash is beautifully simple. Use honey and water to wash your face and remove your make-up, use Apple Cider Vinegar as a toner.
skin, messy bun & goofy face. or- "before"

2. The no 'poo craziness has been rolling around in my little pea brain for some time now. This time last year I was on the verge of getting dread locks, i'm just over my hair. I regularly rock the white girl nat'ral afro [real thing] and the catholic school messy bun [mother mcauley mighty macs, what up?],  I need an intervention. 

I creeped around some more the pinterest [i might need to join P.A. soon.] and found this fabulous documentation of a no 'poo experiment. [dear Crunchy Betty, i want to be you.] So i'm doing it. Just like that. 

I won't repost the entire process here [it's simple: use water and baking soda in place of shampoo and use Apple Cider Vinegar to condition.], but basically everything i've read says my hair will need a month or so to transition from regular shampoo to no 'poo. I will be documenting my grease ball nastiness during the transition period this month [like i'll probably have to wear a hat to Christmas]. I'm committing to see this through, into the new year. If it doesn't help by January 1st- I'm out, but i really really really hope it makes me look a like a movie star [totally reasonable expectations].

There will be before and after pictures, there will be grease, there will be trying to camouflage the grease, there will be funny stories, there will be not-so funny stories, it will be my idea of a good time. 

So, letcho inner grease ball out. 
Anyone up for taking the challenge with me?








all DIY beauty ideas come from www.crunchybetty.com. 
read:THIS ARE HER IDEAS, not mine. 
I'm only wishing to chronicle my personal experience. 
Crunchy Betty approval pending.


1 comment:

  1. I'm interested to see how this goes. My friend Matt doesn't use shampoo (we should probably get it out in the open: he IS a hippie) and he manages to look pretty normal all the time (minus, sometimes, the whole hippie vibe, for those who would red flag this as automatic disqualification for "normal looking" status) so that should be encouraging. no?

    ReplyDelete